slow execution speed when compared against visual c++

LLeweLLyn Reese llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com
Sat Jan 4 23:59:00 GMT 2003


[snip]
> There are two conditionals here, the first being the kind of
> exceptions you enable: MinGW can be configured with dwarf exception
> handling (at least for C++).

I didn't know dwarf2 unwind worked under mingw2.

> As there are some pending issues with
> support for throwing exceptions across Windows callbacks, the latest
> MinGW release switched back to sjlj exceptions.



> The other conditional
> is what you exactly mean with "*much* better". If you have actual
> numbers,

I don't have numbers; it's been months since I had a windows box.

> please post them, along with the test cases. On my
> experience, sjlj exceptions causes a performance penalty that hardly
> exceeds 10% over dwarf2.

10% or so sounds about right for most applications. Sometimes it is
    much more - sometimes much less. 

> This is not a dramatical difference for me,

Not for you, and not for many people. My last job was writing console
    games - and there 10% was important.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list