GCC 3.0.2 binaries

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Wed Nov 28 08:09:00 GMT 2001

Kabir Patel wrote:

> I moved the file to another device and when I run gzip -d on it, it
> comes back with an ' unexpected end of file ' message. What does
> this mean, and how can it be resolved?

Pretty much how it sounds - gzip expected more data but there wasn't
any.

Having a quick look on ftp.sunfreeware.com, the file size is supposed to
be 23,815,367 (uncompressed: 83,127,808). It looks like you don't have a
complete copy of the file and will have to redownload or attempt to
resume-download on the current file. I don't know how to resume
downloads with Solaris ftp.

What you have is a compressed Sun package file; it has to be installed
using Sun's 'pkgadd' command on the target Solaris machine. (I said
before that Sun packages were just .tars, but I was wrong - HP packages
are .tars but Sun packages are their own format.) You can use your
Windows machine to ungzip the package file but you can't extract any
more than that from Windows.

Rup.