GCC 3.0.2 binaries

kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com
Thu Nov 22 06:23:00 GMT 2001

I downloaded gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz again, provided enough space,
and ran gzip -d on it. The following error message cam back
"gzip: gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error"

Could somebody tell me what this means? and how to rectify it?

Thanks
Kabir

To:   Kabir Patel
cc:   gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 28/11/2001 16:06
From: me@rupey.net
Subject:  RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries

Kabir Patel wrote:

> I moved the file to another device and when I run gzip -d on it, it
> comes back with an ' unexpected end of file ' message. What does
> this mean, and how can it be resolved?

Pretty much how it sounds - gzip expected more data but there wasn't
any.

Having a quick look on ftp.sunfreeware.com, the file size is supposed to
be 23,815,367 (uncompressed: 83,127,808). It looks like you don't have a
complete copy of the file and will have to redownload or attempt to
resume-download on the current file. I don't know how to resume
downloads with Solaris ftp.

What you have is a compressed Sun package file; it has to be installed
using Sun's 'pkgadd' command on the target Solaris machine. (I said
before that Sun packages were just .tars, but I was wrong - HP packages
are .tars but Sun packages are their own format.) You can use your
Windows machine to ungzip the package file but you can't extract any
more than that from Windows.

Rup.

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.