GCC 3.0.2 binaries

kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com
Thu Nov 22 07:48:00 GMT 2001

I downloaded "gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz" instead, and tried running gzip -d
on it.
I go the following mesage:

"gzip: gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated"

Is this a bad copy of gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz? I got it from
www.sunfreeware.com

Thanks

Kabir

To:   Kabir Patel
cc:   gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 29/11/2001 12:40
From: me@rupey.net
Subject:  RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries

Kabir Patel wrote:

> I downloaded gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz again, provided enough
> space, and ran gzip -d on it. The following error message cam back
> "gzip: gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid compressed data--crc
> error"
>
> Could somebody tell me what this means? and how to rectify it?

gzip stores a checksum for the compressed data ('crc' is 'cyclic
redundancy check') and the value it has is wrong. Again, this means you
have a bad copy of the compressed package.

May I check that you downloaded the file in binary mode and not ASCII
mode? If you're using command-line FTP then it probably defaulted to
binary mode but to be sure you might want to type 'binary' before you
'get'.

I know that's a long shot, but I at least don't have any other ideas.

Rup.

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.