GCC 3.0.2 binaries

Claudio Bley bley@cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Nov 29 09:26:00 GMT 2001

>>>>> "kabir" == kabir patel <kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com> writes:

    kabir> I downloaded "gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz" instead, and
    kabir> tried running gzip -d on it.  I go the following mesage:

    kabir> "gzip: gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid compressed
    kabir> data--format violated"

    kabir> Is this a bad copy of gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz? I got
    kabir> it from www.sunfreeware.com

Get the MD5 checksums from the same location and check your file. Did
you read the download/installation instructions at
www.sunfreeware.com? If not don't hesitate to read it NOW.

    kabir> Thanks

    kabir> Kabir

Claudio

    kabir> To: Kabir Patel cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org Date: 29/11/2001
    kabir> 12:40 From: me@rupey.net Subject: RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries

    kabir> Kabir Patel wrote:

    >> I downloaded gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz again, provided
    >> enough space, and ran gzip -d on it. The following error
    >> message cam back "gzip: gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid
    >> compressed data--crc error"
    >>
    >> Could somebody tell me what this means? and how to rectify it?

    kabir> gzip stores a checksum for the compressed data ('crc' is
    kabir> 'cyclic redundancy check') and the value it has is
    kabir> wrong. Again, this means you have a bad copy of the
    kabir> compressed package.

    kabir> May I check that you downloaded the file in binary mode and
    kabir> not ASCII mode? If you're using command-line FTP then it
    kabir> probably defaulted to binary mode but to be sure you might
    kabir> want to type 'binary' before you 'get'.

    kabir> I know that's a long shot, but I at least don't have any
    kabir> other ideas.

    kabir> Rup.