Need help with gcc environment variables

marimba marimba
Mon Sep 13 14:05:00 GMT 1999

Hello all.

When trying to build xemacs 21.1.6 by running the configure script, I
get the error message :  "C compiler cannot create executables."
Coincidentally I just downloaded gcc 2.8.1 from sunfreeware.com and
have not yet successfully used it.  I am totally new to this tool and I
am just trying to get started with it.

I need to find some good instructions on what environment variables
need to be set, and how they need to be set.  I have searched the web
and read all the documents I get, but mostly what I find is self-
referential passages such as:

----------
COMPILER_PATH
The value of COMPILER_PATH is a colon-separated list of
directories, much like PATH.  GNU CC tries the directories
thus specified when searching for subprograms, if it can't
find the subprograms using GCC_EXEC_PREFIX.
----------

This isn't much help to me.  Obviously COMPILER_PATH is a colon-
delimited list that provides a list to the subprograms.  This isn't
much help if I don't know *what* subprograms depend on this variable.
Same goes for GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Is there a good specific reference where I can learn how to set these?
I would really like to get gcc configured so I can build xemacs.

(Note:  I have already read the suggestions such as "try a FAQ"
and "read a doc."   These suggestions are not as abundantly helpful as
they might appear.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/