Re: 1-800-GIT-HELP

On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 11:33 +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> I imagine a lot of people are going to feel lost in the first few
> weeks of using Git.

I don't do IRC (and I'm not a GCC dev :)) but I'm happy to help via email.

One thing I'll say though: if you're an Emacs user then IMO you should run,
not walk, to your nearest MELPA site and install the Magit package.

https://magit.vc/

https://magit.vc/manual/magit/Installing-from-Melpa.html#Installing-from-Melpa

It will make your day-to-day Git use much more pleasant.  It provides a
single "status" buffer that shows you the current state of your workspace
and allows you to do everything from the very simple "commit all modified
files", to the more complex "pick and choose individual diff hunks to
commit".  It provides Emacs-based interfaces to everything from push/pull
to merging to interactive rebasing.

The Emacs VC integration with Git is pretty nice, but Magit takes things to
a whole different level.