Re: GIT: Monotonically increasing trunk and release branch ids

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> We would need to add some tags (I wouldn't bother with pre-GCC 5 era,
> because that doesn't have single number version numbers in the branch
> names), like:
> for r in 10 9 8 7 6; do
>   git tag branchpoints/gcc-$r `git rev-list $(git merge-base origin/master origin/releases/gcc-$(expr $r - 1))..origin/master | tail -1`
> done
> git tag branchpoints/gcc-5 `git rev-list $(git merge-base origin/master origin/releases/gcc-4.9)..origin/master | tail -1`

Those look like the start of GCC version N development (just after the
branchpoint for N-1), not the branchpoint as commonly understood; naming
them "branchpoints" seems confusing.

> I'm sorry for my limited git-fu, could those branchpoints
> tags be something that is fetched by default (given they would be added only
> once a year for each trunk commit after the branching, usually the
> BASE-VER bumping to N+1.0.0)?

Any tag in refs/tags is fetched by default.

I think the existing git hook configuration expects you to push only
annotated tags, not lightweight tags (so you'd need to use -a / -s / -u
when creating those tags).

> As it is short, could it be something we'd put as first thing in the gcc-cvs
> mail subjects (of course, only for trunk and release branch commits; like
> the current svn mails start with rNNNNNN - ), and somewhere before or after the hash
> in the body which also makes it into bugzilla?

This seems like another thing that would need new features in the hooks to
support configuring email subjects and contents like that.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com