Re: Test GCC conversion with reposurgeon available

Joseph Myers <jsm@polyomino.org.uk>:
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2019, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>
> > On Dez 25 2019, Joseph Myers wrote:
> >
> > > Timezones for any email address can be specified in gcc.map for any
> > > authors wishing to have an appropriate timezone used for their commits.
> >
> > But that should not be used for unrelated authors.
>
> It's not.
>
> On investigation, I think you are referring to the conversion of r269472.
> That was committed for you by Jim Wilson and thus has you as author and
> Jim Wilson as committer and Jim Wilson's timezone entry has been applied.
> So the argument here is that the author's timezone information should be
> applied to the author date, and the committer's timezone information
> should be applied to the committer date.  I expect that should be
> straightforward (although when coming from SVN, there's also an argument
> that we only have committer dates so the committer timezone is the
> relevant one to apply).

Theee's also an FSF policy about Changelogs that's relevant, I think.

Git sometimes fills in the author field from the committer, and
Changelog parsing is done only after translation. That's probably the
source of this bug.

If anybody cares enough to file a bug with a test load attached, I
can probably fix this.