This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Thoughts on LLVM and LTO


On Tuesday 22 November 2005 13:17, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> What about compile-time performance?
>
Well, it's hard to say, I have not really used LLVM extensively.  The only 
real data I have is compile times for SPECint:

	SPECint build times (secs)

				-O2	-O3

GCC 4.1.0 (20051117)		354	398
LLVM 1.6 (-Wl,-native-cbe)	802	805

So there appears to be a factor of 2 slowdown in LLVM.  However, I know 
LLVM has a separate GCC invokation.  It seems as if it emitted C code that 
is then compiled with GCC (I'm using -Wl,-native-cbe).

I don't think this would be standard procedure in an integrated LLVM.  
Chris, how would one compare compile times?  Not using -Wl,-native-cbe 
implies emitting bytecode, right?


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]