Re: weird installation problem on i686-pc-linux-gnu

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 10:25:28AM -0800, James E Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 02:35, Martin Reinecke wrote:
> > Unfortunately I have no way of finding out more about the local "install",
> > as it doesn't accept the --help flag:
>
> Did you check to see if it might be a shell script?  If so, there might
> be comments in it.  If it isn't a shell script, then running "strings"
> on it might give useful info.  Also try options -v, --verbose, and
> --version.

It's not a shell script, and "strings" doesn't reveal much either.
But I can probably talk to the responsible person at the computing center
tomorrow, and hope to learn more about the program.

> autoconf already has a number of checks for various known install
> programs with various known bugs.  If it can be identified, then
> autoconf can be fixed to avoid use of it.
>
> I don't see the install program in my out-dated copy of POSIX, but there
> is a long history of UNIX systems having a program called install that
> works the way gcc expects it to work.  So I'm tempted to call it a bug
> with your system, though I can't produce a convincing argument for
> that.  One could also perhaps call it a bug in autoconf that it doesn't
> check for this and work around it.

I'll let you know what kind of install it is, as soon as I know it myself.
If it isn't something completely homegrown, a change to autoconf might
indeed be useful.