This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: svn diff branch woprking copy against mainline?


Daniel Berlin wrote:

Of course, the question always raised when you try to do this is "why is
this better than just using shell variables"

if you can give me a good answer to take back to dev@subversion, i'm
happy to



shell variable scenario: gcc.gnu.org has a special file that people can check out to get settings
for the several hundred tags & branches, which they have to massage with a sed script to
generate a file that is sources by .profile / .bash_profile to agree with the access methods
required to get throuh the local firewall, so something that looks like:
export gcc_4_1_1_release='svn+ssh://amylaar@gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/tags/gcc_4_1_1_release'


now that I have expanded my environment by hundreds of variables, I can do:
svn diff Makefile.in  $gcc_4_1_1_release/gcc/Makefile.in

But I'd rather do:
svn diff Makefile.in -rgcc_4_1_1_release

I.e. no silly naming of the path from the trunk root to the file, and no repetition of the file name itself.



Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]