Re: Will Apple still support GCC development?

Samuel Smythe wrote:

It is well-known that Apple has been a significant provider of GCC enhancements.
But it is also probably now well-known that they have opted to drop
the PPC architecture in favor of an x86-based architecture.
Will Apple continue to contribute to the PPC-related componentry of GCC,
or will such contributions be phased out as the transition is made to the
x86-based systems?

We don't mind. I bought an Apple G4 PowerBook because it offered me a relatively cheap way to get a 32 bit, big endian machine. The first thing I did after receiving it is wiping out OS X and installing a real operating system, i.e., Debian.

A big endian system is indispensible if you are a compiler writer, because little endian hardware hides too many programmer errors; At the previous GCC Summit even the head of the Intel compiler group agreed with me on this and pointed out that the Itanium can be run in big endian mode.

In turn, will Apple be providing more x86-related contributions to GCC?

Well, they could do all they might. I'm just waiting for IBM coming forward with a Linux PowerPC64 laptop, so that I can continue to use big endian hardware.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands