This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Policy for wrong-code bugs
> I think that Volker's proposal makes sense in the abstract, but will be
> confusing in practice. People are still using really old compilers --
> we have a customer where we are still supporting GCC 2.8.1, for
> example. Keeping PRs open for all current, shipping compilers means
> never closing any PR ever.
I don't think that's what Volker meant. He said: "I think we should close
them, only if they are fixed on mainline *and* all open release branches (or
if explicitly marked as WON'T FIX on those branches)." For the FSF
compilers, this currently means the 3.3 and 3.4 branches.
I think this would make sense, in that this would force an explicit decision
from the respective RMs for their branch, instead of the current situation
where bugs are silently closed and not fixed on the branches.
--
Eric Botcazou