Re: [RFC] type safe trees

On Jun 23, 2004, at 8:34 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

So, we don't want C++, we find C too restrictive in the expressive
power it gives us and we end up inventing a new language we
have to learn?

I tend to agree. I think we've already moved too far in the direction of writing gcc in GTY-C instead of in C. (Why this is a bad thing: the GTY-C language has syntax that isn't as well documented as the C language, there is only one GTY-C compiler and it doesn't give great error messages, and it's harder to do unit testing of a program written in GTY-C than one written in C.)

If we think we need a language with class hierarchies but
with a C-like syntax, our compiler already supports two
good choices.

--Matt