libiberty and getopt and getopt_long

I am having problems compiling gcj on an OS which includes
getopt and getopt_long already.  Is there a reason why libiberty
does not check if the OS includes getopt_long?

The problem I am having is when it comes to the link stage compiling
one of gcj's programs (I forgot which one) it fails to link because
the OS's libc already includes getopt_long.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski