Re: Criteria for GCC 4.0

    Excuse me, but I don't think this is even desirable.  We have the
    special-purpose drivers for that and I would encourage people to use
    them instead.  In fact, I would much rather see that the 'gcc' driver
    would be _only_ the C compiler.

Then how do you propose to do multi-language support?  There are a
significant amount of large aviation projects that are doing mixed
Ada/C++ for example.  The fact that each of these languages has a
different preferred driver program makes this a harder problem than it
should be.  There would be similar problems with Java/C++.
Multi-language projects are likely to get increasingly common over
time and the best way to support them is to remove the special-purpose
drivers and have "gcc" handle all languages directly.