This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: About embedding GCC, GCC compiling with Visual Studio...
- From: Jim Wilson <wilson at specifixinc dot com>
- To: Grégoire Péan <pixigreg at tele2 dot fr>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:19:53 -0800
- Subject: Re: About embedding GCC, GCC compiling with Visual Studio...
- References: <20040125141321.QKEY9022.fep01-svc.swip.net@patpc>
Grégoire Péan wrote:
- is there an existing attempt to make a Visual Studio project (even to
create executable) for GCC?
- Do I have a chance to succeed?
- Would an experienced GCC programmer (creator?) accept to help me?
I have seen a few previous messages from people that have tried and failed.
I have no knowledge of Visual Studio, I've never used it. However, I am
skeptical that you can convert gcc into a Visual Studio project. Gcc
has an involved build process, and all of the details are encoded in a
GNU Makefile. It would be difficult to extract all of this info out
into another format. More importantly, the gcc build process changes
frequently, so even if you did extract out the info, it would quickly be
obsoleted unless it was maintained in parallel, and we are unlikely to
help you with that.
There is also another issue here that if you build gcc into a library,
then you have to worry about GPL issues. If this library gets linked
with any other code, then that code gets covered by the GPL which is
probably not what you intended.
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com