Re: [RFC] Contributing tree-ssa to mainline

On Saturday 17 January 2004 02:55, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> writes:
> | I would echo Gerald and Joseph's comments about regressions and
> | documentation.  (However IMHO, it's up to frontend maintainers to
> | upgrade their bits, so Ada and g77 not working is okay with me.)  I
>
> I don't understand that argument.
>
> If someone contributes a patch that suddenly makes a front-end
> non-working, we consider that a non-starter and reject the patch
> until it addresses the "non-working" bits.  I do not consider it fair
> to change the mainline in a disruptive way for x front-ends and says
> it is x front-ends maintainers' business to make it work.

I would agree with you on principle.  But nobody is willing/able to
update g77, and for Ada, everyone knows Kenner has done some work in
this area but it's just not there and hasn't been for four years. So
do you think we should wait until someone cares enough to make this
transition?

Gr.
Steven