[tree-ssa] cfghooks questions

I am trying to understand cfghooks architecture.
I see three kind of hooks, rtl_cfg_hooks, cfg_layout_rtl_cfg_hooks
and tree_cfg_hooks.

My initial understanding was that cfg_layout hooks is IR independent.
But that is not case because it is tightly connected to RTL
(and at first I missed 'rtl' word in its name). So do we need
another cfg_layout_tree_cfg_hooks for trees or we want to make cfg_layout
lang. IR independent ?

Thanks,
--
Devang