Re: gcc 3.5 integration branch proposal

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 15:42, Geoff Keating wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2004, at 11:22 AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>
> > I'll make you a deal -- if you will commit to fixing five Bugzilla
> > regressions between now and January 31st, and five more after the
> > branch
> > is made, then I'll create the branch on January 31st, come hell or high
> > water.  Deal?
>
> I think January 31 would be too long to wait, sorry.

No counter-offer? :-)

By the way, there's no question that there will be chaos when we finally
do branch, and everyone starts putting stuff in for 3.5.  That's
actually what's supposed to happen in Stage 1. :-)

I completely agree with Phil, however, that creating a proxy-mainline is
inappropriate.

Apple (and some other vendors, including CodeSourcery) is in the
position of doing its own release management and bug-fixing based on
various versions of GCC.  Therefore, having high-quality FSF releases
may not make much of a difference to Apple; Apple doesn't use it
directly anyhow.  (Of course I do not know what Apple's management wants
in this respect, nor do I know what your personal motivations might be,
independently of your Apple employeeship.)

These releases, however, are FSF releases, and they should be of the
same high quality as the FSF releases for other packages, such as Emacs
or GNU Awk.  Unless the SC says otherwise, of course. :-)

--
Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
CodeSourcery, LLC