Re: mips/xm-iris5.h

Nathanael Nerode wrote:
I'd like to fold this into the inttypes.h autoconf test. Anyone know
what warning comes out of the conflict between inttypes.h and sys/types.h conflict on compilation on Irix 5? That might allow for clean detection.

I remembered a few more things.

I believe the conflict is a duplicate typedef definition. E.g. both files have identical typedefs for int64_t (or some related type). ISO C requires a diagnostic. SGI cc gives an error. GCC gives a warning. Thus a configure test using gcc passes, but one using SGI cc does not.

You can get into problems if you use gcc for the configure test, and then SGI cc for the build, as then you get an error during the build. Of course, you aren't supposed to do that, but accidents happen, and it is confusing to give the user an error in this case. It is simpler to prevent inttypes.h from being used at all.

I think maybe there were other ways that this caused trouble that I haven't remembered yet.