RE: Global register variables (bugs #7871, #10684, and #11413)

> > Fortunately it doesn't seem to affect x86 (although that might be
> > accidental),
>
> It is easy to write testcases that fail on x86.  As a
> practical matter
> though, the x86 has so few allocatable registers that if you
> use global
> registers you will run into other problems.  Thus they are
> rarely used,
> and hence few x86 users have noticed that they are broken.

We use 4 (four) global register variables on x86 exclusively, including
the frame pointer, but the code we generate is simple enough that gcc
very rarely gets into trouble.  It seems odd that we haven't run into
any problems with gcc 3.x on x86, though *shrug*.

Cheers,
	Simon