Re: [using gcc book] 5.20 double-word integers

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 09:33:34PM -0400, Chris Devers wrote:
> > Hello again,
> >
> > In chapter five, section 5.9 (Double-Word Integers) of the _Using GCC_
> > book, we have the following sentence:
> >
> >     Multiplication is open-coded if the machine supports
> >     fullword-to-doubleword a widening multiply instruction.
> >
> > I feel this would read more clearly if written as follows:
> >
> >     Multiplication is open-coded if the machine supports a
> >     widening fullword-to-doubleword multiply instruction.
>
> Warning: nitpicking ahead.
>
> On PPC32 at least, there is no widening multiply instruction, but
> there is a multiply high instruction which allows to easily compute
> all the necessary terms and is used for that purpose.

Do you feel this warrants a change in phrasing? Was the original version
any more accurate? The sentence is already written in terms of a caveat
("...foo if bar..."); are you saying that this caveat should be further
qualified for PPC32 (etc?) targets?

Suggested rephrasings are welcome.

--
Chris Devers      cdevers@pobox.com
http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/

trash can, n.
(GUI) An iconized disposal device designed to facilitate the accidental
deletion of essential files. See also ICON; GARBAGE; MOUSE; BIN.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995