Re: Solaris 8/SPARC bootstrap broken building 64-bit libgcc

> You've since traced this down to POSIX sed, not the older native sed.
> Should we add a note in the solaris-specific installation docs that,
> ironically, the POSIX-standard version of these tools can cause problems,
> and the older native tools (for which workarounds specifically exist)
> should be used instead?

There are already many notes in the SPARC/Solaris specific sections of the
installation docs, so I think we should try to not overload them. As I
already said, AFAIK you're the only one to have reported this problem in the
bugs database and the problem doesn't occur on a typical Solaris
installation, so I'm personally not in favor of adding yet another note. But
I understand that the opposite decision could be made for the sake of
completeness.

Btw, why on earth don't you have /usr/bin at the beginning of your PATH
variable? :-)

> (You also pointed out that the test has since been rewritten, so this
> particular example is moot.  I just use this as a starting point for
> discussion.)

Yes, maybe the former test was deemed too fragile.

> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html says, "see the specific
> instructions for your platform, or use Bash to be sure."

This is IMHO overly optimistic, specific Bash versions may have bugs on
exotic (read non-Linux) platforms. I think the host-specific installation
notes should prevail.

> If using Bash as the configuration shell doesn't work, that's a bug.

I presume you mean a Bash bug :-)

> I can't argue with that.  We should decide, before 3.3.1 goes out, whether
> the POSIX tools in /usr/xpg4/bin are supported during bootstrap.

They are not, and this is not a regression so we cannot change it at this
point. As to whether we should mention it in the installation notes, I
already gave my viewpoint above.

--
Eric Botcazou