Re: Solaris 8/SPARC bootstrap broken building 64-bit libgcc

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:32:16AM +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:

> Btw, why on earth don't you have /usr/bin at the beginning of your PATH
> variable? :-)

Because I got really, really sick of my scripts working everywhere except
Solaris, thanks to the weird non-standard command-line options and semantic
behavior of the traditional Solaris tools.

Sun has decided to not fix any of those problems in the name of backwards
compatability, but relented enough to ship versions conforming to the
XPG4 publications.

Basically, it's the same reason we don't support /bin/sh under Solaris,
but request /bin/ksh[*] instead.  Just apply the reasoning to other tools.

[*]  aka /usr/xpg4/bin/sh, so that when our users run "sh script.sh", we
     get the good shell, not the crappy one.

> They are not, and this is not a regression so we cannot change it at this
> point. As to whether we should mention it in the installation notes, I
> already gave my viewpoint above.

One sentence more can't hurt...

Phil