Re: removing old snapshot CVS tags? (was: gcc_latest_snapshot CVS tag)

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:10:34PM +0100, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I don't think that's worth it.  We are talking about snapshot
> > tags only, not even pre-releases or some-such, and I completely fail to
> > see the benefit of keeping this bit of history.
>
> annual volumes) that I'm loth to consider that the publications in
> question here - snapshot tags - should be considered now to be of only
> ephemeral use.

Keeping a snapshot of the whole repository isn't a bad idea, if only for
backup's sake.

But I can't accept that CVS access should be consistently and constantly
getting slower and slower for the sake of hypothetical future sociological
research.  The extra tags are bogging things down, and while yes, it would be
great to improve CVS or replace it, I honestly think that's just handwaving
until the day arrives when such a suggestion is actually possible.  Sorry,
nothing personal.

Here's my rule of thumb:

    1)  Is Subversion usable yet?
        a)  if yes, drop CVS
        b)  if no, hack the hell out of the CVS repository and/or binaries
            and/or anything else required to make it more useful and usable.
    2)  There is no step 2.

The flood of tags is an actual problem, there's been a concrete suggestion
as to a solution, we have a volunteer to do the slogwork of the solution.

Phil