Re: removing old snapshot CVS tags?

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Why can't we create a monthly (or yearly) dump of the actual CVS
> repository, to support such research (this might make some sense for
> other reasons as well)?  Are the disk space requirements so immense?

A dump of the repository before removing anything from the history (that
relates to distributed files, as opposed to transient mistaken tags and
such like) was exactly what I was proposing.  Various people have private
rsynced backups of the repository on various schedules, kept for various
periods - finding one when CVS corrupts a file is one thing, finding one
in twenty (or two hundred) years' time is another matter.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk