Re: function arguments offset computation with -fomit-frame-pointer

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 July 2003 14:26, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>
>  > >  However, there must be still a bug somewhere because a Linux kernel
>  > > compiled with -fomit-frame-pointer crashes with bus errors in a
>  > > place I cannot reach with the debugger.
>  >
>  > Please arrange to run the GCC test-suite instead.  It's usually
>  > simpler than debugging crashed kernels.
>
>  I would like to, but how can I automate running test programs on a ColdFire
> target connected via BDM cable?

I don't know the exact details for using a BDM cable, but see
the dejagnu manual; testing can be done on a variety of boards
and through a variety of connections, protocols and
cross-environments.

>  Even if I rebuild the Linux kernel with an older version of gcc, I still
> can't easily transfer and execute test applications remotely.
>
>  Could I use a simulator of some kind?

Yes, this is IMHO the easiest way to do it (once code is in
place that is; after setting it up the first time).

> But it still needs to run an OS to
> get a working environment to execute an hello world application.

No you don't; you just need I/O-hooks in the simulator.
Besides, most of the gcc testsuite isn't even hello-world;
it's abort () or exit (0).

See (here we go again) the
<URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/simtest-howto.html> instructions.

There's a newlib and a libgloss port for m68k, and it seems the
necessary simulator low-level bits have been written, but I
don't know for what simulator, and I see no m68k simulator in
sim/ or sid/.

brgds, H-P