This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: cache misses in gcc 3.3


Tim Josling <tej@melbpc.org.au> writes:

> Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>> 
>> Tim Josling <tej@melbpc.org.au> writes:
>> 
>> | How about:
>> |
>> | Parsing/tree building: nnn.n
>> |
>> | If agreeable I will submit a patch in due course.
>> 
>> I would prefer a separate entry for tree building.
>> 
>> -- Gaby
>
> So would I - but there would be hundreds of thousands of calls out of the
> parse; to wrap these in timvar would be prohibitive.

Mm, no, I bet it wouldn't.  We already have two calls to
timevar_push/pop for every token coming back from cpplib (TV_LEX and
TV_CPP). That hasn't been a problem.

On any quality operating system gettimeofday() is as fast as the
relevant group of deranged assembly hackers can possibly make it.

zw


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]