Re: Improving Alias Analysis

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Sanjiv Kumar Gupta, Noida wrote:

> I intend to improve the alias analysis so that it can handle
> such cases. For that, I am currently thinking of possible
> solutions. One solution could be backward traversing of the
> list of RTXs and finding out if the two pointers differ.
> The other could be maintaining symoblic values for regsiters
> at each instruction level.

Whatever you do, please try and use published algorithms.  Alias
analysis is a very well known technique and many solutions exist
in the literature.  Try a search on citeseer with terms like
points-to alias analysis.

For tree-ssa, Daniel has implemented a fairly quick points-to
analyzer.  Documentation and references are on the tree-ssa
branch files tree-alias* (http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/tree-ssa/).

Diego.