Re: Faster compilation speed: cache behavior

mrs@apple.com (Mike Stump)  wrote on 21.08.02 in <B79263D9-B560-11D6-B144-000393941EE6@apple.com>:

> On Tuesday, August 20, 2002, at 11:40 PM, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> > mrs@apple.com (Mike Stump)  wrote on 20.08.02 in
> > <CE111330-B490-11D6-90A6-000393941EE6@apple.com>:

> >> The symbols mentioned are just one possible value of the pc within the
> >> millisecond (by default) when the sample was taken.   The sample
> >
> > Uh, I thought they were the exact instruction that caused the cache
> > miss,
> > and this particular profile was *not* based on timed samples?!
>
> I am very new to  all the counters and their semantics and what all the
> numbers mean.  However, from my limited understanding, I don't believe
> this is the case.  Was your understanding obtained by reading the chip
> docs about the counters?  By experimenting with them heavily?

By reading what Matt wrote about it, at the start of the thread. He
claimed that he first obtained a list of the instructions causing cache
misses, and then figured out where they were belonged.

I have no idea if that is true, but when what you claim and what he claims
is so drastically different, confusion is only to be expected.

MfG Kai