Re: gcc compile-time performance take 2

> Attached are the raw files I got from the logs in case somebody wants to
> do more analysis.  The first column is the date, the second is the time
> in seconds.  I plotted them and put the results in
> http://people.redhat.com/dnovillo/SPEC/build-times/

Looks definitly very interesting.  Do you think you can also modify your
scripts to oprofile cc1 binarry on the SPEC build?  Then we will have logged
when particular function became expensive.  You are using PentiumPro class
machine that has better counters than Athlons...

> Bootstrap times don't seem to change significantly for the C front end.
> But, we seem to have gotten slower when bootstrapping both C and F77
> starting in Apr/02.
>
> If I weren't such an optimist, I'd say that the SPECint build times are
> getting progressively worse.

The graph looks interesting, definitly.  I am surprised it grows so consistently over the development cycle (ie even in the freezes).
Perhaps it can be explained by filesystem overhead or something...

Honza