Re: gcc compile-time performance

> I can second this.  That is one of the reasons (another was frequent
> bootstrap failure) I totally gave up using the idle SPARC cycles here
> building the compiler.

Odd, we have found SPARC/Solaris to be our most reliable build platform
(for example it is by far the closest to passing our regression tests
for Ada with GCC 3), and the time to build is commensurate with the
raw speed of the processor.

| Running Solaris, the same bootstrap (and it is an equivalently
| targetted bootstrap doing the same amount of multilibbing) takes more
| than a day on a 32 processor Solaris machine with several gigabytes of
| ram.

But this went on to say that building Java was the time consuming step.
Of course we don't do that build (were you using doing that build in your
seconding here)