Re: gcc compile-time performance

> I'm still convinced that the more demanding CPUs nowaday are a huge
> factor in the slowness of GCC, be it directly or indirectly. For
> instance some transformations wouldn't make sense on a simple minded CPU
> like a 8051 because (nearly) all instructions take the same time and
> branches are no issue there.

Well sure if you go back to processors where branches are not an issue
(or even loads and stores) then you are in a different world, but we have
been in the new world of processors where thisw is not the case for a long
time now, and certainly this does not account for the 2.8 to 3.1 slowdown
of a factor of 2 or more. The EPIC stuff is new, but

a) there is no reason that this should slow things down
b) not much of the specialized epic stuff is in yet