Re: Minimal GCC/Linux shared lib + EH bug example

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Buck" <Joe.Buck@synopsys.com>

> Message c++std-ext-5022
>
> Matt Austern writes:
> > There are at least two interesting questions we might ask:
> >   (1) what should a future version of the C++ standard say
> >       about dynamic libraries?
> >   (2) considering what the standard says right now, and
> >       recognizing that we're talking about behavior outside
> >       the scope of the standard, what behavior for gcc would
> >       best serve users on a linux/ELF platform?
>
> There's a hybrid question as well, since both C++ and ELF have standards.
> C++ has the one-definition rule, which is contradicted by the way weak
> symbols work in ELF, so we have a tension between two standards.

If so it may just mean that weak symbols are the wrong mechanism for
implementing some of these C++ features. If the ELF standards people
believe that the current ELF behavior is not mis-specified, we'd need a new
kind of weakness to support C++ well.

> So:
>
> what should a future version of the ELF standard say
> about C++ dynamic libraries?

Good question. What's the right forum for asking that?

-Dave