copying gcc binaries

To use gcc on a machine where gcc is not installed, I have to tar the whole
directory structure and ftp it over (mounting the directory is not an
option). This by itself does not work since a lot of the variables set at
configure time are still pointing to the old directories (trying
"gcc -print-search-dirs" for example will show some of them). I have tried
playing around with GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and such but I have not gotten anywhere.
Does a better solution exist? if not, could anyone help with setting up gcc
once I have copied (ftped) everything over?

Thanks,
 Bob