port for hc12

hello ,
thanx for the replies to my previous mail.
i have another doubt .
in my task i have to make some optimizations to the existing gcc port for
hc11 such that it works well for hc12.
for that as i understand i have to make the changes in m68hc11.c , m68hc11.h
and m68hc11.md files .
after this i assume i have to compile the gcc to get a new gcc port.is this
correct or am i missing any thing really big in my understanding of the
problem ??
best regards
khaja