Re: patch for -Wno-long-long and early GNAT compilers

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:48:41PM -0500, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     Please don't split hairs.  We went over this at length last year; the
>     Ada front end in the released GCC 3.1 has to be buildable with the
>     commonly available gnat-3.13.
>
> In general, GNAT is only buildable by the previous version of GNAT
> because it may use features added in that version.

In my opinion, it should not do that.

> The GNAT sources in the FSF tree are close to GNAT 3.15, so you need
> 3.14 to build, not 3.13.

I direct your attention to http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-11/msg00986.html,
in which Robert Dewar asserts that "the sources at gnu.org are
buildable with 3.13 or 3.14".  There has not been a release of GCC
with Ada as an official supported language since then.  Even when
there is, support for building with 3.13 or later has to be maintained
until the newer version is in wide use.  This is not negotiable.

[I would CONSIDER dropping support for 3.13 no earlier than when a
released stable version of Debian GNU/Linux provides an Ada-capable
3.x as the default compiler (i.e. not as "gcc-3.x").]

>     And I want to go on record as saying that it *should* be buildable
>     with *any* standard-compliant Ada compiler.
>
> Due to the tight linkage with C code (the rest of GCC0, that's not at
> all practical, unfortunately.

Shame.

zw