Re: RCS tags in ada source files

Stan Shebs wrote:

> Geoffrey Keating wrote:
> >
> > A number of ada source files have comments like:
> >
> > /****************************************************************************
> >  *                                                                          *
> >  *                         GNAT COMPILER COMPONENTS                         *
> >  *                                                                          *
> >  *                               A D A I N T                                *
> >  *                                                                          *
> >  *                            $Revision: 1.6.8.1 $
> >
> > This causes problems with branching and merging.
>
> Amen.  Ditto for boehm-gc and other files too.
>
> > Would people prefer:
> >
> > 1. Using -kb on these files, so that the tags are kept but not changed
> >    by CVS; or
> > 2. Deleting the tags?
>
> Death to RCS tags!  They're either inaccurate or incomplete; the
> former if my CVS import touches them, because the master version
> info is overwritten, or the latter, if CVS leaves them alone,
> because I don't have info on what "1.72" is supposed to mean in
> a repository that I can't access.  Just delete the lot of 'em.

Someone suggested to me that there is a CVS patch to support project
specific keywords like BSDId or GCCId.  I think the FreeBSD folks
use it.  This lets you share source between projects and each repository
has its own special Id marker.

This does require some cooperation between the multiple projects and
agreement that it is OK to have say $GCCId$ and a $Id$ owned
by the boehm-gc master repository with both keyword in the file.
This would let us correlate the versions for files managed
primarily in other projects' repositories.