Re: GCC to open the C++ demangle API?

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:42:41PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 06:47:49PM +0100, Carlo Wood wrote:
> > The (legal) problem now is: how can I write a drop-in for these libiberty
> > functions when I want it to be LGPL?
>
> I've no idea.

It's your (Carlo's) code, you can license it however you want.  The
problem would be getting permission from the FSF to distribute it as
part of GCC, while leaving the license as stated.

Perhaps the sanest thing to do would be distribute it separately,
under a permissive license -- I would recommend GPL+runtime exception
or three-clause BSD, not LGPL.  Get it packaged and included in major
free operating system distributions, contribute patches for other
libraries (including those included with GCC) to make them use it, etc.

We could then use that as leverage to get the FSF to change the
licensing on the libiberty implementation.

zw