RE: Linkage of GPLed GCC to Closed Source via XML or Perl

Bernard,

I see that we are thinking along the same lines.

> And in fact the reason I've talked of SOAP
> previously in the thread is that
> I see GCC as a good base to create a "C++ to
> WSDL/server/stub" compiler
> working by parsing C++ source code and generating
> all the structures needed
> to access the corrsponding class instances through
> SOAP.

Bravo : We there go!
1. We start by wrapping tree.c in soap calls and
toplev.c.
2. You encode the tree_node as an soap parameter
3. All of a sudden, you gcc is running as a web
service and anyone can call a function to get
something compiled without installing the server. The
ast/rtl or asm can be the output.
How would that be covered by the gpl?

> In that case, if the original compiled code is
> GPLed, then the resulting
> code WSDL/server/stub will be (be it compiled by a
> GCC-derivative or even a
> proprietary compiler), but if such a GCC-derived
> compiler is used on
> non-GPLed code, it seems dubious to say the result
> will be GPLed.
But what about the usage of such an interface once
created? Just because the code is gpled as an
interface to a GPLed program, the users could be "M$
vi$ual studio" heaven forbid.

We really need to think about this again.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont