Re: autoconfiscation -- questions about make usage

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 02:29:39AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Joe Buck wrote:
> >
> > You don't need to use "least common denominator", but ideally any
> > Posix-compliant make (e.g. BSD Make) should work.
>
> Hmm... where the heck do I find a free description of what a make has to
> do to be POSIX compliant?

Don't know about POSIX per se, but the Single Unix Specification is sort
of a follow-on to POSIX.  Their make(1) page is here:

    http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/make.html

Unfortunately, even POSIX make is lacking in handy features.  You might
consider writing comments in the makefile.in where some of the more
common GNU make features might be used as replacements, should the SC ever
permit it.  (By "more common" I mean extensions which might also exist in
other make's, like BSD's.)

Phil