c anc c++ compiling

hello ,

   1.  I compiled and linked two source files one
       of which is c and other is c++ . I called
       a function which was in c++ file from c file .
       gcc flagged an error..

       I gave :

       $>gcc a.c a.cpp

        Error was  : undefined reference to that
               	     function

        When i ran the same with g++ , it worked

        $>g++ a.c a.cpp

         No error

         What happens exactly ?

      2. Now i want to add c++ code to objc compiler
         cc1obj . i.e i will link one more file which
	 is .cpp with other objc source files which are
          .c . Here the same problem arises .
          The thing that we can't make here compiler
         g++ as it happens through stages..and it
         changes

           What can be done for this ?

         Thanking you in anticipation ...

         - Ratnadeep Joshi