Re: Successful installation of GCC 3.0.3 on i386-unknown-freebsd4.4

In article <Pine.BSF.4.43.0201081200290.92810-100000@naos.dbai.tuwien.ac.at> you write:
>On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Joe Buck wrote:
>>> I have successfully installed GCC 3.0.3 (all languages, default configure
>>> options) on i386-unknown-freebsd4.4.
>> With GNU make or BSD's make?

> Good point!

> I used GNU make, and indeed when I tried with BSD make today, it failed
> (for ./configure w/o any options apart from --prefix.)  I'll give current
> CVS sources a try and see how we're doing there...

Hi Gerald,

How very odd.  According to recent daily reports from ref4.freebsd.org
[1] [2], the gcc 3.0.X branch is very stable on FreeBSD 4.5 using both
GNU make and BSD make against both in-source and external
configuration styles.  The four days around the actual release of gcc
3.0.3 showed no changes and results were identical to the recent
reports.  Unless the failure occurs with BSD make when --enable-libgcj
was provided to configure (since the libjava project insists upon
using Makefile constructs not even close to being portable, I must
pass on that point), please send me the exact failure mode you saw via
private e-mail.  I am going to be quite annoyed (mainly at myself, and
no one else, for not testing it) if in-source configuration with BSD
make somehow works against CVS 3.0.X yet fails against the tar file.

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-01/msg00125.html

LAST_UPDATED: Tue Jan  8 06:59:28 GMT 2002
built using GNU make
(posted report for $srcdir/configure, but ./configure was run that same day)

[2] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-01/msg00105.html

LAST_UPDATED: Mon Jan  7 06:51:04 GMT 2002
built using BSD make
(posted report for $srcdir/configure, but ./configure was run that same day)

Regards,
Loren