Re: SIMPLE: A language-independent tree IR

Richard Henderson wrote:

> I don't care.  For the purposes of the language-independant
> tree nodes, expressions shall have no side effects.  Transfer
> of control is a side effect, and thus shall be a statement.

Thus you would also remove COND_EXPR and PREINCREMENT_EXPR and
CALL_EXPR.

Perhaps we are talking about different "levels"?  If we're
talking about traditional gcc tree nodes used as abstract but
language-independent syntax trees (i.e. what the parser and
semantic analysis produces), then to say that "expressions
shall have no side effects" is clearly nonsense or at least
a radical break with Gcc current practice.  If you're talking
about some lower-level intermediate format (which could of
course use the same 'tree' types), then I have no objection.
--
	--Per Bothner