Re: Inlining heuristics for C++

> For this to work, you need to do parse and analyze the whole translation
> unit before emitting code, to get information about call counts, and
> to enable elimination of dead functions.

Doing this in the C/C++ front-ends would be approximately trivial, by
the way.  But, it would exacerbate our memory usage problems even more;
until we get them under control, I think we have to stick with just
doing a function at a time.  Some compilers write out the bodies of
function to disk and read them back; that makes it easier to keep the
entire translation unit in memory without having a giant memory
image.