Re: Inlining heuristics for C++

--On Monday, July 09, 2001 09:46:59 PM -0400 Daniel Berlin
<dan@cgsoftware.com> wrote:

> Right now, they are horrific.

Hey, thanks a lot. :-)  They are, actually, the same ones we had in
the RTL inliner, just about -- except that we can inline so much more!

I think your ideas are reasonable.  Nathan Sidwell has been thinking
about these issues, too; you should coordinate with him to try to
get some decent ideas and some decent measurements.

One long-term challenge is that we would like to inline when somehow
that allows major simplifications.  For example, if there is a giant
function involving tons of calcuation, but we know that the argument
is `3', and that means we can fold all the calculations, then we
should do the inlining, even if the inlined function is nominally
giant.  I have no idea how to do this, though.  It's probably not worth
bothering about.