Re: GCC 3.0 for mips-sgi-irix6.5 built

Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:

> The Irix port has worked in the past.  IIRC it was disabled due to build
> problems, e.g. command-line length.

Right, I ran into this when trying to build mips-sgi-irix6.2 and
mips-sgi-irix5.3 configurations with --enable-libgcj: there's an easy
workaround, though: just (as root) invoke systune -i to set ncargs to the
maximum possible (262144) (and optionally build a new kernel and reboot).

This allowed the bootstrap with libgcj to finish.  Well, sort of: I ran
into a ld64 bug when trying to link the n64 libgcj.so:

ld64: FATAL 2: Internal: at ../../ld_patch/multigot.c mgot_estimate_gots: gprel sections too large for this group

The same problem has already reported, but not resolved back in 1998 for
some C++ program:

	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/1998-09/msg00654.html

Maybe I can get some info on this directly from SGI.

> If someone can fix and test libgcj on Irix soon enough, perhaps it can get
> into 3.0.1.

make check is still underway on both platforms, I'll post results (and
updates to install.texi beyond another one awaiting review for 3.0.1) when
they're through.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

Email: ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE