Re: GCC 3.0 for mips-sgi-irix6.5 built

> Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:

> > The Irix port has worked in the past.  IIRC it was disabled due to build
> > problems, e.g. command-line length.

> Right, I ran into this when trying to build mips-sgi-irix6.2 and
> mips-sgi-irix5.3 configurations with --enable-libgcj: there's an easy
> workaround, though: just (as root) invoke systune -i to set ncargs to the
> maximum possible (262144) (and optionally build a new kernel and reboot).

I worked on this a while back and changes were made to the gcc Makefile
to minimize the amount variables exported by GNU make in the environment.
I posted a patch to the GNU make list to change the export defaults of GNU
make.  This further reduced the environment size exported by GNU make.
With these changes I can do a complete bootstrap under vax-dec-ultrix4.3
except for libgcj, which I haven't tried, with a total environment size
of 10240 bytes.  Setting ncargs to 262144 should provide tons of space.

Development of GNU make seems to have died.  If anybody is interested
in the GNU make patch, let me know and I will try to dig it up.

Dave